I decided to try my hand at another sculpt based on one of my illustrations (below). I had thought it would be such an easy thing to make, I’d just get a ball the right shape, add on some hair and make the bust part out of a cut up doll torso… but I couldn’t find anything suitable so I ended up making it all from scratch using epoxy resin clay, which is strange sticky stuff – a bit like sculpting with chewing gum!
I was pretty pleased with how the sculpt turned out, and the mould making and casting went fairly smoothly – only a few air bubble issues this time. (In the photo above the grey is the original sculpt, white the resin copy)
My idea was to make something a bit like a Girls World styling head or a My Little Pony, where the main body is plastic and the hair is real… This worked out ok, but I have to say I wasn’t too amazed with the end result – the real hair doesn’t quite hang as nicely as I’d hoped because it’s so springy!
I was determined to finish off a full set though, it was good painting practice to try and make them all as neat and identical as I could!
Sculpting, moulding and casting something can be a pretty long and messy process, so it’s a little disappointing when you aren’t 100% happy with the end result… the only thing you can do in that situation is start from scratch I guess – no undo commands with clay! This experience did make me consider learning a different type of sculpting though, which I’ll post more about soon